Aizu KAI WIP – Hip Mod
Cross-posting from here.
I’ll skip to the chase for this WIP and talk about the actual mod done. I’ll talk about the rest later on (just mostly sanding and super-gluing some parts) in a compilation post. I think most would like to know more about this, ne?
From my previous “works”, the most I’ve ever did were knee mods but this time, I’m going for a hip mod. I wanted to do it for the Astraea actually but I’ll need more resources if I were to mod it in such a way. However, after looking through the Reborns, I felt it was quite possible to be done upon the Aizu in a way that only required cutting, sanding, drilling and at most superglue (probably some epoxy now for reinforcement).
It wasn’t as straightforward as I thought but it does work out so far. Maybe with a little more adjustments it will become more studier but it is alright as of now. If anyone would like to try also, you may want to get some putty and some pla-plate to make the mod more “beautiful”.
This mod of mine is also not so “wallet friendly” since I’m sacrificing one 00 Gundam body in doing so as I’m using its pelvis/hip joints. If you have pla-plates, however, you can make your own instead.
First thing to do is to get some parts from 00 Gundam. 00 isn’t expensive at 1000 Yen so maybe you’ll be able to part with it fine. Other than that, if you were like me who bought 2 007S/G, then it should be okay to sacrifice one body.
Just build it like so. I super-glued the hip connection pieces to make it more solid. For those who have putty, I highly advise you to lengthen the circular hip connections’ pegs. This is because the it doesn’t reach deep enough as such which results in a less solid connection between the legs and hips for mine. It still can connect fine but just not as good as something which is built for it.
Temporarily, put the two halves of the hip section together. HOWEVER, I advise you to drill the hole right in the middle instead. I was actually trying to follow the polycap’s location but it didn’t work as well as I hoped.
Test fit and acticulation. Seems to be working so far but not solid enough. Well, it won’t fall of easily so I guess it is kinda solid in a way but after a few turns, it can pop off (but I guess that’s normal). Try not to drill the hole any bigger than you should so that it can help hold the connection as well.
I did try to make the hip joints less “weak” with a bit more drilling and cutting but I should’ve just poke it in the middle from the beginning.
Now it is time for the pelvis section. For this part, just use the two white halves. Don’t use the gray part with the ball joints as we’re replacing it with the 00 pelvis joint to compliment the new hips.
There’s a hole there so, just stuff the PC1 polycap in. I think you won’t need to carve anything here even though I did try for an earlier idea but after some more fiddling, it wasn’t needed in the end. ^^;
Note: For those who are more capable, it is better to place the polycap in the middle instead of at the rear like I did – which is more faster and easier to work with.
After this not so safe mod attempt, I finally know why Bandai went with a ball connection instead… they didn’t have enough polycaps in one sheet… How… cheap. :/
Anyways, there isn’t much else to say than what I’ve typed so if you are willing to sacrifice and try this out, do it at your own risk. The risk isn’t all that high actually so maybe you can try it without much problems… except maybe financially. XP